CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

G.A.M.E.R.S

After reading the article about video games posted on adec, I realize that it is actually true. Computer games can increase a person’s language proficiency. I don’t make a blunt assumption on this one because it is related to my own experience as well.

As a child, English doesn’t come to me naturally since my parents don’t use English that much with us (though they use it in their working place). But they provide me with a source to learn language, besides making countless excercises on workbooks, which is the video games. I’ve been introduced to the world of video games, either in computer or in consoles, since I’m in year 1 and it was very addictive. Of course, the earliest console that I use to play games doesn’t introduce much to language but as I switched to Play Station, the language became more demanding. In order to complete a certain task, I need to understand what is required so that I could move to the next stage. Therefore, I was forced to learn the language. Besides that, video games have different genre, just like the movies and musics, and my favourite will always be the RPG (role playing game) which involves lots of reading (dialogue, instruction, etc). This provides me practice to learn the language without being conscious about it.

Therefore, I’m quite against those who said gaming is a waste of time but of course, the choosing the ‘right ones’ are alsoimportant. Besides, we need to take into account the time spent for playing video games. Spending excessive time playing video games may also affect studies. Therefore, there should be limit to everything, no matter how good it is.

0 comments: